Thursday, October 7, 2010

What a Trooper!

Not only Sabine fighting a most viscious cancer, she is also able to come alongside and minister to her grieving husband -- me!  Last week my son, Matthew, died unexpectedly and tragically.  You can read all about it at my "spirituality blog" at http://christinyouchristinme.blogspot.com.

But what you don't get by reading the blog is that this has been a tremendous loss and struggle for Sabine.  Although she is the (and I hate the word) Matt's "step-mother," she has been a big part of  his life.

The good news just before I left for California to make "arrangements," we received a 6-week report on her "cancer numbers."  While they have increased, the rate seems to be pretty slow.  And Dr Sheehan so far doesn't want to see us for another 6 weeks.  Good news!  But Matt's death has been difficutl for all of us.

And while I was away for the past 6 days, Sabine's dialysis at the clinic was very difficult for her.  This morning (thanks be to God!) I made all the connections (sticks) with one attempt and the treatment went well.... almost... as we were in treatment we got a call from a friend in Mt. Horeb that Sabine's mother, Charlotte, had been in an auto accident and was being conveyed to Meriter Hospital in Madison!  One of my best friends is a resident chaplain at Meriter and he was able to meet Sabine's mom in the emergency room.  (Interestingly, he is also going to officiate at our son's memorial service this Saturday).

As my friend relayed us the information on Charlotte, he concluded by saying, "You know being in relationship with you, David, is quite stressful!"  If Sabine was there I would imagine she would agree!

No comments:

Post a Comment