Wednesday, April 16, 2008

1,000 Paper Cranes

From Sabine:

As you know, from time to time I submit short notes to the blog. Unfortunately, my cancer has made me no more computer-literate -- probably worse! I have never read this blog myself (except David will print out your comments from time to time). So remember, only the good things David sends out are true!

I am writing this "true confession" as I must admit that although the wonderful cards and letters you wrote me lifted up my spirits, those that arrived in the first two months of my illness went unopened.

After my diagnosis, I discovered that in reading your wonderful words of encouragement and offers of help I would break down in tears and after the first sentence or two I would be left exhausted.

So, I placed all your cards and letters in a box until I felt strong enough to engage all that emotion and love. That time arrived this past Monday and I sat on the couch absorbing all that love and support. Rather than crying tears of sorrow and feeling completely overwhelmed, I found myself still crying but feeling energized. It was wonderful!


I would like to share with you a particular card that I received from Maryville (MO) sixth graders (where my sister, Barbara, used to teach before her retirement). The kids had read a biography of a Japanese girl, Sadako, who developed leukemia as a result of the bombing of Hiroshima during WW II.

Japanese legend holds that if an ill person makes 1,000 paper cranes their wish to be well is granted.

So, the Maryville sixth graders folded 1,000 newspaper cranes and when they hear someone is ill they clip several and send them to the person. I am happy to say that I am the recipient of two of those cranes. What a wonderful gift!

I will never be able to express what all this attention has done for my spirit and my healing. I love you all and thank you.

Sabine